Friday, May 29, 2009

New Territory

Sorry for the long blog absence, but I was away for a few days. My husband and I and our younger son and his wife went on a trip to South Carolina to visit my older son and his wife. They have only lived there a little over a month and so this is the first time we've been to that area. The first day, we went to Hunting Island which is a nature preserve. I understand the several movies with jungle scenes have been filmed there. It was wonderfully lush and green and the closest thing to a jungle that I've ever been in. We walked through sprinkling rain to a beautiful lighthouse that was completed in the 1880's.

One day we sent the guys off to fish and the girls and I went to Hilton Head to an art show. There were lots of very talented exhibitors and I met a mosaic artist whose work I have admired for years. Steve Terlizzese calls himself the Mosaic Guy and lives in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It's strange that I had to go to South Carolina to meet an artist from my home state.
On the long ride home, I played in my sketchbook. This is a mixed media collage using some of the materials that I picked up along the way.


I have managed to make a little jewelry since I've been home, but I keep wanting to do something a little different. I think I will start on a painting for my hubby since his birthday is next week.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Glad to hear you had a good time in SC ! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
The new jewelry is gorgeous! I really love the last necklace, love the color combo and the design ... makes me think of Frida Kahlo! Your gift went last monday so hopefully will be in your post box in the next few days ! Take Care and have fun painting!